CHICKEN & SAUSAGE JAMBALAYA
• 2 Tbsp oil divided
• 1.5 lbs chicken cut into ½-inch pieces
• 12 oz andouille sausage cut into ½-inch slices
• 3 Tbsp Major Flavor Seasonings’s - Creole Seasoning or season to taste
• 2 c onion finely chopped
• 1 c celery finely chopped
• 1 c bell pepper finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp thyme dried
• 1 tsp basil dried
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
• 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
• 2 ½ c long grain white rice rinsed and drained
• 4 ½ - 5 c chicken broth
• Fresh parsley finely chopped
1. In a large pot, or Dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon oil, and sausage. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add chicken and continue cooking over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Then remove the meat.
3. Drizzle another tablespoon of olive oil into the pot and then add onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables are almost tender. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Place chicken and sausage back into the pot.
5. In a small bowl combine remaining thyme, basil and cayenne pepper.
6. Add seasoning, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes to the meat and veggies. Stir to combine.
7. Next, combine rice and 4 ½ cup broth in the pot by stirring completely. Let ingredients to come to a boil over medium heat. Let jambalaya simmer for 25-35 minutes under low heat covered with lid.
8. Check on the jambalaya at 25 minutes and see if it needs additional liquid. Stir occasionally to loosen any potentially dried rice to prevent jambalaya from burning.
9. Once rice is completely cooked, serve immediately with fresh parsley and enjoy!